After the success of our winter skincare post, we knew we wanted to bring you a similar post during the season’s polar opposite: summer! During the winter, your skin is prone to dryness. However, the summer means you’re dodging days that are too hot, applying sunscreen constantly to prevent burning, and feeling as though your makeup might just be melting off of your face. Just like before, we’re thrilled to bring you the best summer skincare and makeup tips from Philadelphia makeup artists Beke Beau and Nina Moran of Cheekadee, respectively. The best products, looks, and advice await, so read on!
1. What are the best ways to keep skin healthy during the summer?
From Beke Beau: Stay out of the sun, of course! Avoid getting burned or overly tanned because peeling skin can be difficult to manage in terms of make-up.
From Nina at Cheekadee: We recommend washing with Cetaphyl facial cleanser and using the Clarisonic Cleansing Brush at least 3 times per week. For our clients we always use Embryolisse Lait-Creme. It goes on so smooth, never leaves a greasy residue and ensures that the makeup will go on flawless.
2. What are your top three favorite makeup or skincare products for summer weddings?
Beke’s favorite products include:
1. Super Matte Anti-Shine by Make-up International $28
2. Urban Decay De-Slick Setting Spray $30
3. Jane Iredale Beyond Matte Pressed Powder $44
Nina’s favorite products include:
1. To ensure that our clients don’t get too shiny, especially in those Summer months, we use Face to Face Super Matte Anti-Shine; a little in the t-zone area and chin will take care of any oil that tries to come through.
2. Poreless Primer by Tarte, this product goes on so smooth and allows foundation to glide on and stay put all day and night!
3. Model in a Bottle Setting Spray really does the trick to lock in the look and fight against humidity, keeping makeup fresh for hours!
3. Describe your go-to look for a summer wedding?
From Beke: Make-up for brides is pretty much consistent year round, but in summer, coral shades for cheeks and lips seem even more appropriate. And a stronger touch of bronzer makes sense in most applications.
From Nina: My favorite looks for the Summer are: Applying Make Up For Ever foundation with a Beauty Blender and rolling it over the skin to give a soft yet flawless finish. Naked 3 Palette by Urban Decay is beautiful on the eye to create a soft romantic look. I line the eye and use my smudge brush to smoke it out with a bit of mahogany brown or plum shadow. Individual lashes really finish the eye! Park Ave Princess is an amazing bronzer by Tarte- it gives a natural bronzed glow to the skin. The sculpting blushes from Make Up For Ever give a beautiful satin finish and pop of color to the cheek. I prefer to use long wear lip stains on my brides Cling Peach by MAC is one of my summer favorites.
4. What is the biggest skincare or makeup mistake brides make for their summer wedding?
From Beke: It’s so important to be prepared to powder your face over the course of the day, and/or use blotting papers. The idea of looking dewy, while appealing, can just translate to shiny in photos.
From Nina: Not using correct primers. Going to heavy on application. Sometimes brides want to go too ethereal and from our experience it does not photograph well. We tell our brides to always keep in mind that they need a little more pop of color than they are used to.
5. If you could offer one tip to brides getting married in the summer, what would it be?
From Nina: Don’t over tan! Color is definitely helpful and can look great for you photos but too much just looks fake. If you spray tan, make sure you do a test run at the salon so that you know you will be satisfied.
We suggest Beke’s top tip to brides constantly: Talk to your make-up artist about the possibility of sticking around for touch-ups in case it’s a hot day. You’ll stress less about how the weather will affect your look.