We’re thrilled to be celebrating Memorial Day because it marks the unofficial start to summer! We thought we would kick off the season with an ode to all of the things we love about it for weddings, so here’s our top 10:
1. Outdoor Weddings: While we cannot get enough of outdoor weddings in the spring and fall, there’s something extra special about outdoor weddings in the summer (think: nautical celebrations at the Jersey Shore and tented celebrations at private homes).
2. Bright Color Palettes: Pastels are perfect for the spring, but bring on all of the bright palettes during the summer!
3. Bouquets: Both the spring and the summer are two of the best times for florists to source flowers because so many things are in bloom.
4. Flowing Gowns: We love when brides err on the side of flowing, organic gowns, especially during the warmest months of the year. Lighter fabrics will make taking photos, dancing, and enjoying time with your guests that much better when you’re comfortable in your gown.
5. Updos: There are so many lovely times to wear your hair down throughout the year, but updos are our go-to during the summer. We especially love when brides pair updos with gowns with low backs!
6. Refreshing Drinks: Rather than offering cocktails to guests prior to your ceremony, plan to have water, lemonade, and ice tea on hand to keep guests hydrated. Switch to light cocktails during your reception.
7. Food Trucks: The last thing anyone wants to eat during the summer is a heavy meal, so we love planning for a food truck feast instead. The meals are lighter, plus guests can choose what and how much they would like to enjoy.
8. Ice Cream: Whether you choose to serve ice cream instead of cake or offer it as a late night snack, it’s the perfect cool treat during the summer.
9. Lawn Games: If you’re having an outdoor wedding, lawn games are a must! Style Me Pretty Living has a fun roundup of 14 games to have on hand for spring and summer parties, and some of them are great for weddings (corn hole, bocce ball, and horseshoes to name a few). PS: Kids will love them!
10. Welcome Bags: You’ll find a full list of our favorite items to add to welcome bags for guests, but plan to add sunglasses, sunscreen, and bug spray to bags during the summer. It’s also helpful to have these items on hand at your wedding, too.